Ms Warner email@example.com
Ms Forrest firstname.lastname@example.org
Studying Computer Science equips students in this Digital Age to use computational thinking and creativity to understand and change the world. The subject has deep links with Mathematics, Science, and Design and Technology, and provides insights into both natural and artificial systems. At Sydenham the Computer Science curriculum aims to ensure that students become digitally literate and to enthuse them about the principles of information and computation, how digital systems work, and how to use information technology to create programs, systems and a range of content.
Key Stage Three
At KS3, students are introduced to Computer Science through practical involvement in a range of activities. Topics covered: Using computers safely, effectively and responsibly; Intro to coding through Kodu; Spreadsheet Modelling; App Development in AppShed; Control Systems with Flowol; Coding with Python; Computer crime and cyber security; Creating web pages with HTML and CSS; Understanding Computers; Networks; and Graphics.
Key Stage Four
At KS4, students further develop their knowledge and understanding of Computer Science through studying the importance of computation in the world and how it will evolve in the future. Topics covered are:
· Principles of Computer Science
· Application of Computational Thinking
Key Stage Five
At KS5, students pursue a vocational qualification that will help prepare them for a huge range of careers in Information Technology. Topics covered: Information Technology Systems; Creating systems to manage information; Using social media in business; and Website development
The Computer Science department is committed to providing pupils with a broad education in the subject that encourages creativity and equips them with the knowledge and skills to understand and change the world. We aim to:
- Give each pupil a sound understanding of the fundamentals of the subject.
- Enable each pupil to gain practical experience in the subject.
- Offer opportunities to explore state of the art, industry standard, hardware devices and software packages.
- Give each pupil an awareness of the value of the subject, both as a stand-alone subject and as a set of tools to use with other subjects.
- Foster an appreciation of the significance of the subject.
- Foster an understanding of the role the subject will play in pupils’ lives beyond the educational environment.